Errata for ASP.NET 2.0: The Beta Version
Chapter 2 - Visual Web Developer Express Edition
At the time of writing the exact feature set of VWDEE wasn't finalized
but with the release of Beta 1 this has been set. The differences
between Visual Studio 2005 and Visual Web Developer are:
- Source Code Control Support. While you can use the standalone VSS tools
they don't integrate directly into VWD.
- Class Library Project Support. You can build classes with VWD,
but from the IDE you can't build them into standalone assemblies.
- Web Compilation Support. While you get intellisense and compilation
checking at F5/Ctlr-F5, you cannot pre-compile sites for deployment
without source files.
- Modile Web Support. There is no WYSIWYG support for mobile controls.
- Accessibility Checker. ASP.NET will emit 508/ECAG markup, but VWD doesn't
include the built-in accessibility checker for the IDE.
- Localisation Support. ASP.NET provides runtime support for localization,
but VWD doesn't provide IDE support for resource stripping to easily
- Unit Testing Support. Both class and web project unit testing are only supported
in Visual Studio 2005.
- Class Designer. This is only available in Visual Studio 2005.
- Web Load Testing. This is only available in Visual Studio 2005.
- Remote Debugging. This is only available in Visual Studio 2005.
Chapter 4 - Grid Controls
When discussing the DetailsView
control there are several late
- Listing 4.25 shows the UpdateCommand and DeleteCommand
properties of the SqlDataSource control. For these to work correctly the
parameter @ShipperID should be @original_ShipperID.
Additionally there should be parameters for the insert, update and delete commands.
These are generated correctly if using Visual Web Developer or Visual Studio and the
downloadable samples have the correct code.
- The above applies to the FormView control as well.
- Listing 4.26 shows the AutoGenerateCancelButton property, which has been removed.
Chapter 5 - Menu and TreeView Controls
The chapter mentions the Bindings property as a container for
elements to allow binding nodes to the underlying data source. This collection is
now called DataBindings.
Chapter 9 - Pages, Posting, ...
When discussing Web Resources, the GetWebResourceUrl has changed.
There are now two parameters: the first is the type and the second the name of the resource.
Chapter 10 - New Controls
Table 10.1 shows the new controls and their properties. For the HtmlInputReset
control, the ServerClick has been removed.